"What are the major pieces of the Internet,
and who are the major players in each segment?"
This page displays the main pieces of the Internet from a User's PC... extending all the way through to the online content. Each section mentions the most significant parts of the Internet's architecture. I also provide links to the top "couple of vendors" in each category, and then an external link to a more extensive lists of vendors.
In creating this one web page to describe the "entire Internet", I split the diagram based on the function being performed. I recognize that a company may perform several of these functions. I've included several "leading edge" components as well, such as LMDS for the local loop (This page is intended to be forward-looking). I also recognize that there are many additional details that could be added to this page, but I am trying to adhere to a 90/10 rule. If this page identifies 90% of the mainstream pieces and players, that should be sufficient to convey "the big picture". (The remaining 10% details would probably triple the size & complexity of this one meta-diagram.) I welcome any comments you have to improve this page - especially if I've omitted anything significant. Russ Haynal.
These are the Main Sections:
PC - A Multi-Media PC equipped to send and receive all variety
of audio and video.
Equipment - This is the communication equipment located at the
User's location(s) to connect the Users' PC(s) to the "Local Loop" (aka
Customer Premise equipment - CPE)
|Local Loop Carrier
- Connects the User location to the ISP's Point of Presence
|ISP POP- This is the edge of the ISP's network. Connections from the user are accepted and authenticated here.|
|User Services - these are the services that most users would use along with Internet Access. (These may be hosted within a large corporate LAN) (Webhosting is discussed under the online content section)|
- The ISP backbone interconnects the ISP's POPs, AND interconnects
the ISP to Other ISP's and online content.
|Online Content - These are the host sites that the user interacts with.|
online content - This is the original "real-world" sources for
the online information.
Contact me at 703-729-1757 or Russ
If you use email, put "internet training" in the subject of the email.
Copyright © Information Navigators